This time around I thought to myself, why not try a fancier version of shandy with beer, cider, lime and ginger? So I did. Partly inspired by sangria, partly inspired by caipirinha, slightly stronger and a little less sweet compared to my regular shandy recipe, it's a cool cocktail of refreshing flavours.
|ginger lime cider shandy|
The following recipe is really quite arbitrary - feel free to tweak the amounts of each ingredient to suit your individual preference. For example, you can increase the ratio of fizzy lemonade for a sweeter drink.
ginger lime cider shandy
350ml chilled beer (I usually use a pale lager to make shandy)
350ml chilled alcoholic apple cider
350ml chilled carbonated lemonade / lemon-lime soda (e.g. Sprite, 7-Up)
1 large lime, such as a Tahitian
1 large knob ginger, nearly the size of the lime
- Slice the ginger and cut the lime into wedges. Remove seeds if any.
- Muddle the ginger and lime to release the juices, but try to avoid bruising the peel of the lime, as it can be quite bitter.
- Place muddled ginger, lime and juices in a pitcher.
- Carefully pour the beer, cider and lemonade into the pitcher one by one.
- Let the flavours infuse for a couple of minutes, then pour into glasses and serve immediately.
- You may add a little ice if you like, but be careful not to overly dilute the flavours.
Happy New Year's Eve to all! Whether you have a big night planned or nothing whatsoever, I hope you have a good one and I'll see you again in 2011!
Click here to read the rest of the post!