Pages

Monday 12 November 2012

strawberry cordial / strawberry soda, with a hint of galangal

homemade strawberry cordial + sparkling mineral water = homemade strawberry soda.

I don't use galangal very often. I should. They're fabulous in so many Asian recipes, with their mystical aromatics - a little woody, like pine or cedar; a little spicy, like ginger yet not quite.

When I bought a large chunk recently, I was too lazy to use it in a traditional Asian dish, which tends to be a little more work. Instead, gazing upon the punnets of springtime strawberries sitting pretty in the fridge, I decided to make a strawberry galangal cordial. With, of course, a strawberry galangal soda to follow.

So gloriously red. So seductive.

Of course, a pure strawberry cordial, and the ensuing pure strawberry soda, is amazing with its pristine fruity flavour. You may omit the galangal to do just that. But on those occasions when you're feeling a little bit experimental, and you don't think you'd mind an exotic frisson of mystery in your refreshing strawberry drink, well... why not try it with a hint of galangal?

strawberry and galangal.

strawberry cordial / strawberry soda, with a hint of galangal (if you like)

250g strawberries (1/2 lb), hulled and halved
5cm galangal (2 inches), peeled and thinly sliced (use a sharp knife as they can be tough and fibrous)
1 cup water
1/2 cup raw sugar

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil, then simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, mashing up the strawberries with a fork towards the end as they lose colour and soften. Let the mixture cool then strain through a fine sieve, pressing down on the strawberry pulp with a fork or spoon to extract as much liquid and flavour as you can.
This cordial will keep in an air-tight jar or bottle in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.*
To make strawberry soda, simply pour in some cordial into a glass, then top up with soda water or sparkling mineral water, plus ice.
Bonus round: You may also add this cordial to freshly boiled hot water to make a soothing strawberry galangal tea. 

*I sterilise my jars by washing them thoroughly and then letting them sit in boiling water for a couple of minutes.

strawberry galangal soda.

31 comments:

  1. I have missed your tweets and posts, where have you been?! This sounds so delicious. Mindblowing combo of flavours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy! I've been around, but just haven't been very prolific. :)

      Delete
  2. How lovely! I never would have thought to put the two together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a totally novel combination for me too! I'm keen to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! It has an interesting mysterious quality to it. ;)

      Delete
  4. Never heard about galangal before, but this drinks seems so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures and I've never cooked with galangal before... is it an Asian herb? Hmm do you know the Chinese name maybe I'll know what it is because I'm sure I've had it before hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very popular in Southeast Asian cuisines. You've probably had it before, hidden in a curry or something. :)

      Delete
  6. That sounds so good - and I love that top photo in particular :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's my favourite photo of the lot, too. :D

      Delete
  7. that is one gorgeous color and lovely flavors. love the third shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Galangal sounds like something I would trip over repeatedly if I tried to say it out loud. "galangalangalangalangalangal."

    I've never heard of it, but I like your description of it. And any drink that is 'mystical' has my full attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh! Yeah, it's quite an interesting flavour. It's often used in Asian curries and soups and stews and sauces.

      Delete
  9. I don't think I've ever tried galangal; I wonder if I can find it here. I would love to because this drink is so inspiring - love the vibrant colour and your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could check at any Asian grocery or markets. They might have it. :)

      Delete
  10. i have never tried galangal (i'm like emma, i wante to keep adding some syllables!". that strawberry soda looks gorgeous and refreshign and pretty! what more could you ask for in a drink?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Delicious looking! I've been wanting to experiment with galangal and I think this would be a great intro recipe for a newbie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is certainly an easy way to use galangal! ;)

      Delete
  12. I love this idea. I recently bought a soda stream and I'm drinking like 3 litres of soda water a day. I could do with a splash of this cordial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh a soda stream sounds like a fun thing to have at home!

      Delete
  13. Wow, this sounds like such an amazing combination of flavours. I love the gorgeous colour of this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm yum!!! What a fabulous combination and I just love the colour. Perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely drink. I was pretty excited because I recently saw galangel root for sale for the first time in my local grocery store recently!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails