Pages

Tuesday 27 August 2013

perth holiday wrap-up with odds and ends!

It's been a while since I've returned from Perth to Melbourne, and I've finally gone through all my photos. So to wrap it all up, I thought I'd share some of the mix of other things that haven't yet made it to my other posts. Consider this a summary of leisurely daily life in the Perth Hills with Simon and his family.

First, can I share one of the most indulgent and wonderful holiday rituals? Instead of going out and painting the town red, we would rug up with conversation, cured meats, cheese and wine almost every night. Such happiness. The below is one of my most favourite pairings. Incredibly spicy cured meat that burns, rounded out and softened by cumin-studded cheese.

"Burner" - spicy cured meat by Butch's Smallgoods (left) and Dutch Gouda with cumin seeds (right).

During the day, Simon and I would occasionally go for casual walks in the neighbourhood. Eucalyptus trees abound, along with quirky-looking gumnuts.

Eucalyptus trees with gumnuts.

Mundy Regional Park was just nearby. When we felt like we were becoming couch potatoes and spending way too much time on the internet, we would trek there for a bit of exercise and fresh air.

A little creek in Mundy Regional Park.

A nice view within Mundy Regional Park.


I don't know what these plants are, but I thought they were pretty.

Blue flowers...

A fuchsia something... flower, or leaves? A succulent look to it...

A red flower...

Yellow flowers...

And the silhouettes of the trees against the last rays of the dusky sun were lovely to look at.

Sunset at Mundy Regional Park.

We also met the neighbour's cat, Zoe. She was really shy and timid during our first days, and would run away before Simon or I could even get close. But on the very last day, lo and behold, we became friends.

Zoe and me. Look, we're friends!

And because this is a food blog, here is a picture of Zoe enjoying some salmon.

Zoe sniffing, licking and eating salmon.

Delicious.

Hello and goodbye, pretty Zoe.

Finally, we said our farewells to the Perth Hills, knowing that it shall not be too long before we meet again...

10 comments:

  1. Pretty sure the blue flower is Hovea! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hovea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat tongue!! Oh, and the scenery and flowers look nice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the Eucalyptus shot.

    I also couldn't help but giggle that you felt the need to identify which was the meat and which the cheese. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes, I probably could've done without the "left" and "right" notes. :p

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed your Perth series it showcased a very different side to it that I didn't get to experience. The more serene and natural beauty that it has to offer. When I was there, it was one outdoor activity a day haha fun as well but not much relaxation involved. Perth sounds like the perfect place to have a quiet place to unwind and soak everything in. I think I need that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Winston! Yeah, this was a very leisurely trip for us, mostly because Simon saw it as time to chill out back home with family, so we weren't in full travel mode.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh those flowers are beautiful, the scenery is lovely, and THAT CAT! That tongue! Aww man.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails