Pages

Tuesday 17 September 2013

iced carrot milk

A delectable glass of iced carrot milk, made with fresh carrots.

I've mentioned carrot milk on this blog before, but I feel like I cheated my readers by talking about it so merrily and yet not offering up a recipe, especially when it is so easy to make. So here I am today, almost two years later, sharing this delightfully refreshing carrot milk recipe with you. Better late than never!

As discussed in the other post, carrot milk is a popular beverage served in Malaysian street stalls, food courts and cafes. However, as I only started appreciating it when I ventured into making my own carrot milk in Australia, I have no idea how close my version is to the typical carrot milk you can get in Malaysia. Next time I go back for a holiday, I'll try a glass, and make the comparisons. In the meantime, does it really matter? I love my version, and I think you will, too.

iced fresh carrot milk (serves 2)

2 medium to large carrots
3/4 cup water
2 cups cold milk (feel free to use soy milk, nut milk, rice milk, oat milk etc to make it a vegan recipe)
2 teaspoons raw sugar, more or less (or other sweetener of your choice)
ice cubes, to serve

Peel the carrots, then chop 'em up - if your blender isn't super-powerful, finely slice the carrots - that should help ease things along.
Thoroughly blend the chopped carrots together with water.
Filter the blended carrot through a strainer to separate the pulp and obtain carrot juice, pressing to get the most out of it. (By the way, don't throw away the pulp after that's done - save it and use it in cakes, muffins, smoothies, or stews!)
Stir carrot juice and milk together, adding sugar to taste.
Pop in a few ice cubes and serve.

If you have a juicer, feel free to use it to get a pure carrot juice to mix with milk, without having to bother with the steps involved in blending with water. Without the dilution of water, this also means that you can achieve a more intense carrot flavour!

Fresh carrot milk - gentle, sweet and refreshing.

34 comments:

  1. Oh, this so makes me miss my Vitamix back home, which I used to make carrot smoothies with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yummm, carrot smoothies. My blender isn't very powerful but I still enjoy making them.

      Delete
  2. This looks like a really fun drink--I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, one more reason to go to Malaysia! I was just discussing the amazing food there with a friend yesterday, but this carrot milk is totally new to me. Truly brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to Malaysia (and you should), there is a very, very, very long list of things you need to try, I have to say!

      Delete
  4. Oh no, wish I had tried it when I was in Malaysia! I've never heard of this before until now, thanks for the post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always next time! Plus, there are so many delicious things in Malaysia that it's understandable that something like this falls by the wayside!

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of this before, it sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always post such interesting and delicious recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrot milk?! You are blowing my mind right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel cheated, I never heard of carrot milk on my trips to malaysia! Although i was obsessed with ice milo on my last trip! Thanks for the recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, now you've got me craving iced Milo! I'd say carrot milk is more well-known to those who grew up in Malaysia... and also if their family and friends are into it. I'm familiar with carrot milk mainly because my cousin loves it, otherwise it might not have been on my radar either!

      Delete
  9. Dear leaf,

    I think the carrot juices in Malaysia use sweetened condense milk which I find a tad too sweet for my liking. It is a refreshing drink but I've stopped juicing carrots because I find all the healthy fibre is wasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I suspect they may use condensed milk, but decided to go with milk and sugar instead for my recipe. I don't mind juicing carrots every now and then, and as I suggested in my post, you can (and should) save the pulp and use it in some other dish later! :)

      Delete
  10. What an interesting concept... I like the idea of getting so many vitamins from this milk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - particularly all that vitamin A / beta carotene from the carrots! :D

      Delete
  11. Fascinating. I am definitely going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! It'll be fun to try, and you'll probably like it. :)

      Delete
  12. Yum! I bet it is lovely and sweet and perfect for a steamy, hot day. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! I love it. I think I'd sprinkle it with a little cinnamon too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How interesting! I've never had carrot milk but I can totally see how good this would be. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to try this. I love carrot juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like carrot juice, then you will most probably enjoy carrot milk! :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails