Pages

Sunday 9 August 2015

sweet red bean soup

Sweet red bean soup, a simple Asian dessert.

Just a short and sweet one today! This is an easy red bean soup dessert that I've enjoyed since I was a child. Keep it simple using just red beans, sugar and water, or add an extra dimension with a piece of citrus peel or a knotted pandan leaf. This is very much the kind of recipe that you adjust to suit your taste, so don't be afraid to go with the flow.

sweet red bean soup / adzuki bean dessert soup
(serves 4)


1 cup red beans / adzuki beans
1 piece of fresh mandarin peel or dried tangerine peel (optional)
1/4 cup Chinese yellow rock sugar / raw sugar / light brown sugar
1 pinch of salt (optional)

Soak the red beans overnight with just enough water to completely immerse them.
The next day, drain off the water, rinse the beans well, and place them in a saucepan with 5 cups of water.
Bring the water to boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Add the mandarin peel or tangerine peel, if using. Let the beans simmer, partially covered, for about 40 minutes or until the beans are tender.
Remove citrus peel, and add the sugar and salt. Continue to cook the beans for another 20 minutes or until the texture of the beans is to your liking, adding more water if necessary. If you like, you can also mash or blend a portion of the soup for a thicker, richer consistency.
Serve the red bean soup warm, or chill it in the fridge. I quite like storing it in the fridge - it thickens up a little bit more, and seems to taste better the day after.

Adzuki bean dessert soup.

4 comments:

  1. I love a good red bean dessert! By the way, I just found your blog the other day and am enthralled by your recipes :) You've got a lovely feel for flavours and I love in particular your asian recipes, both the classics and the twists. They make me feel closer to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely compliment, it means a lot to me and I'm very happy that you enjoy my recipes! Do make yourself at home around the blog and feel free to let me know how it goes if you try any of the recipes. :) x

      Delete
  2. I remember enjoy sweet red bean (and green) soup when I lived in Kong Kong. I don't know why I haven't tried to make it myself yet since it doesn't look so difficult to make. I better try out soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's very easy! You should definitely give it a go. :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails